Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees - Doug Lipp

I read a surprisingly large number of books on business management. I do this not only because of my authorial enterprise, but in an attempt to improve on my "day job."

"Disney U" is the story of Van France's legendary staff training program, begun at Disneyland in the 1950s and continuing (with updates along the way) through the present day. Author Doug Lipp looks at what France called the Four Circumstances (Innovate, Support, Educate, Entertain) and uses them to examine things like new employee orientation, training policies, and more. Exercises at the end of each chapter allow readers to determine how their own companies employ the techniques described, and explain how the Four Circumstances tie in.

I truly wish that all companies would operate on the principles taught at Disney's various enterprises; there is a reason that people stay happily employed there for decades, and a lot of it has to do with employee involvement and managerial care. This book explains how it all works, from the top down.