The Art of the Disney Golden Books - Charles Solomon
Like most people my age, I grew up with Little Golden Books. The very first book I read by myself was Pussy Willow.

Anyway, one of the things that makes the books so loveable is the illustration. Some of the finest artists worked on the books, including Disney greats like Mary Blair and Bill Peet. Gustaf Tenggren, who was heavily influenced by Arthur Rackham, is another great example of an artist who worked on these books.

Many current Disney artists grew up on those little board-bound books, just like me, and were heavily influenced by the style they saw there.

Charles Solomon assembled not only a brilliant history of Little Golden Books themselves, but of Disney's partnership with Western Publishing, in his book. It is a colorful volume, featuring images of original art by Retta Scott Worcester (much beloved for her edition of "Cinderella") and many more that were thought long-lost until a Disney executive asked to have the archives back from Western Publishing.

This book is a must-have for lovers of Little Golden Books and Disneyphiles alike.