The Child Whisperer: The Ultimate Handbook for Raising Happy, Successful, Cooperative Children - Carol  Tuttle

This may seem like an odd book for an empty-nester stepmother to be reading. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Carol Tuttle takes her time in this book (it's a long one!) to describe how the four energy types in her Energy Profiling system behave as children. She looks at how best to respect and work with those energies, even from a young age, to help with school work, home life, and even stave off rebellion.

That'll be great information to have when the grandchildren come along, but the main thing I got from it was confirmation that I truly am a Type 3 energy (I have now read all of her books) and was since childhood. It also confirmed that my Type 4 father and Type 2 mother tried very hard to shut that energy down ... and why. The most important thing: this book provides tools to reparent either one's self or one's children to deal with the results of a childhood similar to mine.

Honestly, I think this is the best parenting book I've ever read. It does away with the "one size fits all" approach and shows ways to honor children's varying expressions and movements for peace and harmony.