— feeling big smile
Speaking in Bones: A Novel (Temperance Brennan) - Kathy Reichs

I'm a long-time fan of Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan series, and this book is the latest in a long line of page-turners for me.

In this outing, Tempe meets Hazel Strike, a self-professed web sleuth who has been able to identify a number of missing persons using the sources available to her. She has a keyring recording that she says is a young woman named Cora Teague who went missing a few years before. Her family never filed a missing person report because they believe she ran off with a young man.

Tempe is also dealing with an unexpected marriage proposal from long-time on-again/off-again beau and colleague Andrew Ryan, which is just one more stressor.

As Tempe delves further into the case, she finds herself crossing a Pentacostal congregation as well as ticking off some of the local law enforcement officers ... even as one of them finds her fascinating on a personal level.

As always, with Tempe, it's complicated.

The procedural/forensics aspect of these books always strike me as realistic; labs are chronically overworked and understaffed. Unlike television, tests take a realistic amount of time to complete. The violence depicted is not gratuitous (this is a forensic science novel, after all), but it is described very clearly. Sensitive sorts may not appreciate that.