Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee
To Kill a Mockingbird is a long-time favorite book of mine, and Atticus Finch is one of the greatest literary heroes of all time. So, despite the buzz that this book shows him not to be what we think he is, I bought it the day it came out.

Wow, what a roller coaster ride. Jean Louise "Scout" Finch is in Maycomb for her annual visit; she now lives in New York and is a writer. She is seeing her city and its denizens through adult eyes and not always liking what she sees. And yes, there is a very dramatic moment in the tale when she discovers that Atticus belongs to the Citizens' Council. She raises hell with him over it as well.

At the same time, there is a subplot involving a young black man hitting a white man with a car ... and that man is Calpurnia's (the Finch's former cook) grandson. Atticus says he will be the man's defense lawyer ... which raises all kinds of confusion in Scout.

There is a message in this book about how one's personal prejudices should be just that -- personal -- and not be inserted into law.

This book was also thought-provoking as I read through Scout's Uncle Jack talking with her about ideas that are still far too commonplace, although people like Scout and, indeed, most folk nowadays no longer hold them. One only need look at the incredible amount of racist bigotry thrown at our first African-American president and his family to know that the Citizens' Councils are not so much a thing of the past as they are a thing with a different name.

This is not a book that I loved in the same way as "To Kill a Mockingbird," but it is thought-provoking in its demonstration that people are far more complicated than we often given them credit for being.