L is for Lawless - Sue Grafton

I admit it: I haven't read a Sue Grafton novel since 2012. Why do I know that so clearly? That's when Grafton quite notably referred to indie authors as lazy. The original interview, on LouisvilleKy.com, is no longer available, but various commentaries and quotations from it are on the internet forever. Grafton took the "I'm sorry you were offended" approach to apology after enormous blowback. So, I stopped reading her books ... which I had previously enjoyed.

Two of Grafton's titles recently showed up as "free for the taking" where I volunteer, so I grabbed them. "L is for Lawless" was one of them.

What was interesting, after three years of not reading her work, was discovering that it's entertaining but not brilliant. This time out, Kinsey is trying to help an "old Army buddy" of a deceased fellow find the property that was stolen from said fellow's apartment. Needless to say, things are not quite what they seem ... including for the deceased fellow -- who was a friend of Kinsey's elderly landlord, Henry.

Before long, Kinsey is trying to figure out how to deal with a case on her last $35 (she seem to be perpetually crappy at managing money) and, of course, skirting the narrow edge between legal and illegal in her private investigations.

If you're already into the series, this is an entertaining read. If you aren't, I'd skip the letter L. It just presumes far too much background knowledge of Kinsey and her pals to be a good starting point, despite it being theoretically able to stand alone.