Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals: Finding Comfort after Losing Your Pet - Allen Anderson, Linda Anderson

I bought this book a few years ago after losing a kitten to a brief and incurable illness, and pulled it out again recently after losing a two-year-old cat to an aneurysm. Somehow I did not review this book the first time I read it, but now really does seem to be the most appropriate time.

This is a book that examines the human-animal bond in readily understandable prose, and gives a different take on grieving that the typical Kubler-Ross stages. The authors take the view that they are themselves chaplains helping animal lovers through what may be one of the hardest times of their lives ... one that is sometimes harder than losing a human family member for a variety of reasons.

There are resources, meditations, and memorial ceremonies included in this book, along with a list of suggested readings. They acknowledge the difficulties of losing a beloved pet without being condescending.

This brief little book is a source of comfort to me during a difficult time.