The Woman in Blue - Elly Griffiths

I have to admit, I nearly abandoned this book. It took me a while to get into the narrative voice (third person present), but once I was able to do so, I felt an immediacy about the book's events.

Beautiful blonde women are being found dead near the Walsingham shrine in Norfolk. DCI Harry Nelson is investigating ... and so is a nearby archaeologist, Ruth, who has a past with Harry. Ruth is involved because her school friend Hilary is getting threatening letters ... and one of Hilary's friends is among the dead women.

As I said at the outset, it can take a little time to get into the narrative tense, and to connect with the main characters. I did find the mystery enjoyable, although one of the reasons I took a star off of this review is huge jumps of time in the same chapter. It can be a little confusing, and I had to go back and double-check a couple of times that I had not somehow missed a page.

I was taken by surprise by the "whodunnit," but part of that may have been that there were so damn many characters!

I think it's a good sophomore effort (there is a previous book in the series) for the author.