Farewell to Manzanar with Connections - Jeanne Watatsuki Houston, James D. Houston

This book has been on my "to be read" list for quite a while. I picked up a copy at the Rosie the Riveter Museum gift shop last week.

Wow. This book takes on a lot of heavy subjects. The author, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston, was interned (along with her family) for three years as a result of Executive Order 9066. She was seven years old when the family entered Manzanar and 10 when they left.

Houston gives us a clear picture of what life was like for Japanese internees during World War II. She tells us not only of what the camps were like, but what reentry was like for Japanese-Americans when the camps were closed.

I worked with a man who had been an internee, and one of my favorite school teachers was an internee as well. This book gave me insight into what their lives had been like.

Sadly, I must say that this book is a timely one that people should read *today.* With calls for "walls" and other bigoted commentary about people who look or believe differently from the majority being considered mainstream due to the present presidential race, it seems that Santayana was right: those who have not studied history are doomed to repeat it.