Vanished: When Lightning Strikes & Code Name Cassandra - Meg Cabot

When I picked this weighty tome up from our office lending library, I didn't expect it to be quite this fast a read ... or as entertaining!

Jessica Mastriani is struck by lightning on the way home after school, and wakes up the next day able to find missing children once she sees their photograph.

This turns out to be both a blessing and a curse, as we see through the two books combined in this omnibus edition.  Some kids don't want to be found ... and the Dept. of Defense wants her to use her power to track down bad guys for assassination.

In the second book, Jess is trying to get through a summer as a camp counselor, figure out whether the guy she likes can really be considered her boyfriend ... and convince the FBI that no, in fact, she cannot find missing people anymore.  She just wants to be left alone ... to no avail.

Throw in Jess' rather unusual family dynamics, and this makes for quite an entertaining read.  Told in the first person, with a voice that is both intelligent and sardonic, Cabot's stories are not what I consider typical YA fluff.  I am planning to read the other two books already.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/711322870