Daughter Cell - Jay Hartlove

Full disclosure: I was given a PDF copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Author Jay Hartlove has brought back one of my favorite characters from The Chosen, Dr. Sanantha Mauwad, for this new tale. In this book, Dr. Mauwad's patient is Dr. Randy Macklin, a chemist and biologist.

Macklin's life is in a shambles. He and his business partner, Young Nae, have created a huge cosmetics empire based on a virus that, in small quantities, can be mixed with a creme to eliminate wrinkles. But in the midst of all this success, Macklin's wife dies in a freak accident while visiting Malaysia ... and his daughter winds up in a coma.

Macklin spends a lot of time drinking after he goes to Malaysia for the funeral ... and both he and his daughter are at Young Nae's house, the other under medical supervision.

This is the set-up for a tale that involves industrial espionage, cross-cultural paranormal/religious beliefs and more.

Hartlove puts us smack in the middle of the action (and trust me, there is plenty). Just about everyone in this book has a secret to keep, and it's the revelations that create the plot twists.

An outstanding sophomore effort.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/719412134