Going to Solace - Amanda McTigue

In the interest of full disclosure: I won this book in a drawing during a recent LitQuake event.

I wasn't sure it would be my "thing," to be perfectly honest: the story of three different small-town North Carolina families, each with a member preparing to enter hospice, and the people who work at Solace (said hospice).

Well, I don't think I've ever been happier to be wrong. Amanda McTigue draws on her childhood home in the Appalachians to create a group of characters who were so real that I could hear their North Carolinian drawls in my head. From Theo and Dorothy, who don't want anyone to know they're going into hospice, to the developmentally disabled teen Cadence, who doesn't understand what is happening to her mother, to the eccentric caregiver Burnice ... every character became a friend or acquaintance.

McTigue's prose and dialogue are delightful, enveloping the reader in the world she has created so that we walk the streets of Garnet and Big Piney, and drive the gravel roads of Little Piney along with the characters.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough to fans of literary fiction. It was an absolutely delightful gem.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/745292132