Emotionally Free : Letting Go of the Past to Live in the Moment - David Viscott
I have to admit, I got mad at this book. Yep, at a book. Why? Because something the author said was absolutely true.

Allow me to elucidate.

At the beginning of the book are some self-evaluation tools that the author has created to figure out the reader's overarching personality type: dependent, controlling, or competitive. And I was pretty angry to come out as a "controlling" type; my immediate response was "That's ridiculous; I don't go around trying to control people." But then I thought about it for a while and realized that I spend a lot of time controlling *myself.* I don't like appearing stupid or incompetent, so I try to make sure that no one ever thinks that. The author acknowledges that we all fall into the other two categories from whatever our overarching one is from time to time, but he wants to help readers understand how they process anger, depression, etc. (what the author calls emotional debt) and why.

So, yes. I learned some uncomfortable things about myself in the process of reading this book. And reading the book is indeed a process. It is not something that can be sped through without giving any thought to what you're taking in.

After the explanations for how each personality type processes emotional debt, there are practical exercises for letting go of that debt. There are also exercises for finding out what you really want from life; they reminded me of the work I did while reading Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live on some levels, although Viscott's methodology is a little different from Beck's.

I have recommended this book to friends before I even finished reading it. I think it's a worthwhile addition to a well-rounded self-help armamentarium.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/895137728