Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right's Vision for America - James C. Sanford

Anyone who reads this book and is not terrified of what the Christian Right wants to do to the United States is, in my opinion, not paying attention.

Author James C. Sanford presents us with a well-researched (more than 40 pages of end-notes in this book) look at the long build-up of the Christian "worldview" movement in its various forms, and then demonstrates ably how this movement has infiltrated the GOP and Libertarian parties in the form of the so-called "Tea Party."

These are not people who are content with their somewhat radical, Calvinistic beliefs; they are people who will only be satisfied when R.J. Rushdoony's prediction of a theocratic government and Biblical law (and punishment) are implemented and the United States is no longer a pluralistic society. And I am not exaggerating.

The Dominionist and Reconstructionist movements, which are described within the pages of this book, both seek to replace the US Constitution with the Ten Commandments, and to require a "Christian nation" position. Examples of such individuals include the rather notorious historical revisionist, David Barton, who became head of the Texas Republican Party and immediately oversaw inclusion of radical Judeo-Christian rhetoric in a party platform that had previously been neutral and moderate.

I could go on for hours about the content of this book. Unfortunately, in the US, many people are ignoring these Christian radicals as a "lunatic fringe" sort of movement, and I think that this is naïve in the extreme. We ignore radical fundamentalists of the sort described in this book at our own peril ... and, as many of them are already in positions of power (e.g., Ron Paul and Paul Ryan), we are already in danger.

Read the book, and then vote. Those are my two major "take-away" points for this review.