The Keeper - Luke Delaney

I enjoy a good suspense thriller and/or a police procedural, and read them fairly frequently.

"The Keeper" is about Thomas Keller, who (we learn right away in the book) is kidnapping women who remind him of some mysterious "Sam" from his past. He's clearly not quite right (as the old saying goes), and we see a lot of reasons why that is.

Detective Inspector Sean Corrigan is put in charge of Keller's case (even though he doesn't know who Keller is, of course) when one of Keller's kidnap victims turns up dead in a wooded part of London. Corrigan has a reputation for solving crimes based on his intuitive hunches ... and his uncanny ability to think like the criminals he tracks.

So, this is the premise of the tale in a nutshell. It's not easy to articulate why this book didn't grab me as so many others do; the premise that you know exactly who is doing what is not new to me, after all. It's similar to the set-up for the US television show "Criminal Minds," in which behavioral analysts are figuring out who is committing crimes as they are happening. This is how real life "detective stories" work after all. And perhaps, at the end of the day, that really was the problem: the book felt more like a derivative from a TV show than an original work.