Losing Touch - Sandra Hunter

Disclosures first: I received an advance reader's copy of this book directly from the author, who sought me out as a reviewer.

And wow ... am I glad that I said yes.

"Losing Touch" is the story of the Kulkani family, who have emigrated from India to England and live in North London. The story opens shortly after the funeral of brother Jonti, who we learn has died of a degenerative disease.

Shortly after the funeral, we see Jonti's brother, Arjun, struggling not only with his attraction to one of his sisters-in-law (Pavi), but with realizing that he, too, is showing signs of the disease.

Author Sandra Hunter covers three generations of the Kulkani family, with each chapter centered on reactions to Arjun's advancing disease state and how the children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews respond to the changing family dynamic that results from Arjun's condition.

The book is well-written and engaging, and the characters and situations are interesting. I found myself relating to the Kulkani family as though they were people I knew in real life, as opposed to characters on a page. The tale is touching, with both laughter and tears interwoven throughout. Frankly, once I started reading, I didn't want to put the book down.

Highly recommended.