The Two Georges - Richard Dreyfuss, Harry Turtledove

Okay, here's the thing: alternate history is not usually my bag. It's hard for me to turn off the voice in my head that says "Hey, wait a minute ..."

With that confession out of the way, I have to say that "The Two Georges" was a very entertaining read. It starts off with a murder, and the theft of the titular painting of George Washington and George III. You see, in this world, the American Revolution never really happened, and the United States is the North American Union: a colony of Great Britain.

The main character, Tom Bushell, is an officer in the Royal American Mounted Police. He's trying to investigate both the murder and the theft, and the connection of both crimes with the Sons of Libery. The Sons are an anarcho-patriot group, for want of a better term.

In any event, Tom and his adjutant, Sam Stanley, go all over the country in airships, on trains, and via steam-driven automobiles in order to gather information and track down the criminals responsible.

Did I mention, by the bye, that this takes place in 1996? (view spoiler); in other words, a whole lot of history is turned on its ear.

The story was an entertaining "whodunnit" set against an unusual backdrop, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1007641878