The Loyal Heart

The Loyal Heart - Merry Farmer There's a lot to like about this story. The heroine, Lady Aubrey, is torn between two men: Sir Crispin, the nobleman to whom she was once engaged, and Ethan -- whose lands have been given to Crispin by the local sheriff, Buxton. Aubrey also spends no small part of her time disguised as the Derby Bandit, robbing the rich to help the poor.The tale owes more than a little bit to the classic Robin Hood cycle, which is all well and good. Aubrey is a little feistier than we would expect from a woman of the period, but that is part and parcel of the genre. The characters are well-drawn and complex, with no one being a cardboard cut-out (except Buxton, who is two-dimensionally creepy).What cost the book a star was the anachronistic dialogue that took me right out of the story every time it came up. Terms like "bye-bye" and "okay" were not used in 1191. Neither were "lunch," "yeah," or "nope." This was a problem throughout the entire book that I just could not overlook.