The Five O'Clock Follies: What's a Woman Doing Here, Anyway?

The Five O'Clock Follies: What's a Woman Doing Here, Anyway? - Theasa Tuohy Theasa Tuohy's "The Five O'Clock Follies" was of interest to me on two levels: I have been a journalist, and I have been a military public affairs officer. These two worlds cover most of the characters involved in the tale.This is the story of freelance journalist Angela Martinelli who, having just left a stifling marriage, goes to Vietnam to cover the war. She becomes friends with the male journalists after enduring some hazing, and becomes particularly close to Nick and Ford.We see the war unfold through the eyes of the three characters, who take very different perspective. Nick and Ford are more gung-ho about events, while Angela looks for the human perspective. She sees her mission as a journalist differently from how the men view it, and takes her story enterprises in that direction as a result.Fascinating characters, all of them flawed and human, are involved in real events like Tet and Khe Sanh -- and all of it is brought to life with Tuohy's rich, literary prose.Those who like their historical fiction a little more on the modern side are sure to enjoy this book.