Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man

Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man - Brian McGrory Brian McGrory's memoir concerning his second marriage, to his late dog Harry's vet, is ostensibly about how the family rooster teaches him to be a better person.Except that isn't really how I read it.Brian is devastated by Harry's death. The beloved golden retriever had been his constant companion since puppyhood. Unbeknownst to Brian, veterinarian Pam has a crush on him ... and she eventually reveals this. They begin dating, which is complicated by the presence of her two children, a dog, some chinchillas and, eventually, a rooster who is hatched as part of a school science project.Buddy and Brian do not get along; in fact, so far as Brian can tell, Buddy loves everyone *except* him. There are frequent comparisons to the late, lamented Harry (a dog and a rooster are not really comparable, of course) and much bewailing of the fact that Brian can't figure out how he landed in Suburbia with a spoiled rotten rooster.Despite all of this, I did find the book quite entertaining. It's really about life changes and love more than anything else, as seen through the filter of the battle between man and chicken. It was a fun read and I would recommend it to animal lovers.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)