The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc

The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc - Kimberly Cutter Those who are seeking a tidied-up, romanticized tale of Jean d'Arc and the 100 Years' War would be well-advised to look elsewhere.Kimberly Cutter brings us a gritty, realistic story about medieval warfare as she brings Jehanne, a young girl from Domremy (in the Lorraine) to life. Starting with Jehanne's childhood (including her sister's murder by the English), Cutter brings readers straight up through brutal battles, political intrigue both for and against Jehanne, and the girl's eventual execution at age 18. We see her humiliation and her humility, her pride and her patriotism. Overall, Cutter shows us a complex young woman who is out of her depth dealing with the politics of her time -- but one who is so driven by her faith that she cannot envision failure.This is the kind of book that serious historical fiction fans love to get our hands on. It's fact-based and well-researched, and gives us insight to the characters we have read about in drier tomes at school.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)