Confessions, Rants and Exploits of a Civil Servant

Confessions, Rants and Exploits of a Civil Servant - Ramona Swann I have to confess, I had a lot of mixed feelings while reading this book. I spent a lot of time wondering how the author got away with as much as she did, to be honest. I'm a former Department of Defense employee who got her start in procurement before moving on to where I really wanted to be (public affairs).Anyway, Swann doesn't pull any punches on herself in this book as she talks about her drinking, her various jobs and what she does wrong and so on.And then she got to the retaliatory behavior after she blew the whistle on wrong-doing in her agency. This is something with which I have unfortunate personal experience, as I was also a whistle-blower. Every single thing Swann says about this experience is true: while there are theoretically protections, the truth of the matter is that the workplace becomes so insanely hostile that you are left with no choice but to leave.More than anything else she wrote, I'm glad that Swann exposed this nasty underbelly of the Federal system. The majority of people who work for our government are honorable people who want to do the right thing. The others, who are less-than-honorable (like the supervisor on my last DoD job who threatened to write me up for insubordination when I refused to forge a signature on an official document ... and only backed down when I told her I'd do it if she put in writing that she had directed me to commit a felony), or like the people Swann writes about in her own agencies, taint the experience for the rest of us and give government employees the poor reputation that they seem to have nowadays.If you want to see the truth about how hard it is to work for the government, read Ramona Swann's book. Seriously.