The Thyroid Solution: A Mind-Body Program for Beating Depression and Regaining Your Emotional and Physical Health

The Thyroid Solution: A Revolutionary Mind-Body Program for Regaining Your Emotional and Physical Health - Ridha Arem When a recent series of lab tests revealed that I was hypothyroid, I contacted a nurse practitioner friend and asked her what books she might recommend. She told me that Dr. Arem's book was not only the one she recommended to her patients, but the one she kept in her office. I now understand why.Before I was even given my medications, I was able to better understand my disease ... and to see how many times I had been diagnosed with another ailment because the symptoms of hypothyroid are so similar to clinical depression and perimenopause. I found myself both a little angry and a little relieved as I read this book, wondering how many health issues might have been resolved many years ago if my doctors had tried a simple blood test (as a new physician did) instead of dismissing my symptoms as "merely part of growing older."I will admit that I skipped sections on hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer and thyroid disease relating to fertility ... but the good news is that they are there should I need to reference them at any point.This book is an outstanding read for a layman, whether it is themselves or a family member for whom they are gathering information. Dr. Arem provides information on which vitamin supplements to consider along with medical treatment, how to start taking exercise if one has previously been unable to do so due to thyroid-related joint pain and so on.I'm one who likes to study what's going on with my body, and this book was (and will continue to be) an outstanding resource. Highly recommended!