Where Serpents Sleep: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery

Where Serpents Sleep - C.S. Harris I am making my way through the Sebastian St. Cyr novels, and each one provides more surprises than the last!In this outing, Sebastian is asked by Hero Jarvis (daughter of his well-placed enemy, Lord Jarvis) to help her investigate a series of murders in a refugee home for prostitutes. Hero is doing research for a reform bill and is the only survivor -- and witness.Sebastian agrees to help, but every lead he talks to winds up dead in a rather spectacular fashion. Attempts are made on his life, as well as Hero's.Previous books have depicted Hero through Sebastian's eyes: a somewhat plain and rather severe spinster at the age of 25. However, this book shows us some of both her backbone and her emotional state. There is far more to Hero Jarvis than meets the eye, and I look forward to learning more about her.As always, Harris' research into the Regency period is exceptional. This book is rich with historical detail and a complicated "whodunnit." I cannot recommend this series highly enough.