The Patient's Eyes: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes

The Patient's Eyes: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes - David Pirie I was a little ways into this book when I realized it was, in part, the basis for an excellent film I viewed last year ("Dr. Bell and Mr. Doyle).David Pirie's debut novel introduces Scots medical student Arthur Conan Doyle to his mentor Dr. Joseph Bell ... and several years later involves them both in a difficult case when Doyle receives a copy of one of his Sherlock Holmes stories with an address annotated in the middle of an illustration. The case closely parallels "The Speckled Band" in its particulars, which I can safely say and still not deliver spoilers. Through this event, another case involving Heather Grace, with whom Doyle becomes infatuated, comes their way. The two men examine evidence through Bell's unusual methodology, the which becomes the basis for Sherlock Holmes' forensic sciences.Once I started this book, I did not want to put it down. The clues are well laid out, the historical research about the time period and events impeccable. Highly recommended for Holmesians like myself, or those who enjoy a well-researched historical mystery.