Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It

Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now - As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It - Craig Taylor I don't envy journalist Craig Taylor; he had to pick and choose from hundreds and hundreds of interviews to create this book.In the tradition of books like Studs Terkel's "Working," "Londoners ..." is told via the vox populi (voice of the people). With occupations ranging from on the dole to stock broker to old age pensioner, people who live or have lived in London talk about their lives.Two of my favorites were the interviews with "Marilyn," the voice of the London Underground, who told how she got the job recording the announcements heard daily on the famous (and highly practical) Tube, and Smartie, a punk rock DJ turned cab driver. In every case, people talked about why they loved their jobs, what the city made them feel, and so on.I was drawn to this book because London is one of my favorite cities. This book provides an insider look that no guide book could ever hope to give a visitor. Well done.