She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir

She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir - Bryan Batt Upfront admission: I've never watched a single episode of Mad Men. However, I saw Bryan Batt on Emeril Lagasse's program a while ago and he was tremendously charming and entertaining. He also talked about this book, and I put a hold on it at the library.I was entertained by Batt's reminisces, both about his theatrical career, being a closeted gay man who eventually found the courage to come out when playing a gay man on-stage, and about his mother (Gayle). Batt told his stories with good humor and style, and the love for his family (which includes no small number of eccentrics) shone through.Through every story about his own situation, Batt shares something more about his mother: her strength as the spouse of an alcoholic, her multiple bouts with cancer, her response to 9/11 (she was in New York with him) and Hurricane Katrina (Batt grew up in New Orleans) and more.Highly recommended for those who enjoy reading about theatre, as well as stories of survival and familial relationships.