Profiler, The

The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths - Pat Brown, Bob Andelman I really wanted to like this book. I have read memoirs by John Douglas, William Bass and numerous other professionals in the fields of forensic and behavioral sciences (I am a forensic anthropology major).Pat Brown's memoir just bothered me. First of all, she admits that she is "self-trained," and decided to become a profiler because a boarder in her home seemed like he might be a suspect in a murder. However, like every single case she discusses in her book, that man was never charged with anything. The police took her information and sent her on her way -- which seems to be a theme throughout the book. Although Brown never says that she uses pseudonyms throughout the book, I presumed that she must; otherwise, she would be in for numerous libel suits. None of the people at whom points her finger and shouts "J'accuse" are ever charged.I will say in her favor that she does her work pro bono. This is good in that she is not receiving funds from the grieving families who hire her. However, it just serves to reinforce the impression against which she rails: that of a dilettante housewife playing at behavioral and forensic science work.People in the forensic and behavioral sciences business have a term they use for people like Pat Brown: "the CSI effect." In a nutshell, it means that people watch TV shows like CSI and figure that they, too, are qualified for the job.In other words, it was a disappointing book. I give her ghostwriter (Bob Andelman) credit for turning it into a well-written story.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)