The Rose Of Sebastopol

The Rose of Sebastopol - Katharine McMahon Without going off into spoilers, I have to say that the main thing that kept me from giving this book five stars was the ending. It left me saying "And then what happened," because it was so anticlimactic.The plot concerns Mariella Lingwood, a well-to-do and very proper Victorian English lady, who leaves her family home in England to go to the Crimea -- not as one of Florence Nightingale's nurses, but find her missing cousin Rosa. Rosa has gone to the Crimea to nurse, but disappears without a trace; Mariella's fiance, Henry, asks that she find the missing girl.Over the course of the book, Mariella learns a great deal about life and herself; exposure to a war zone that is being glamorized in the press at home (in direct opposition to the situation's reality) makes her re-think many of her ingrained mores.The book is exceedingly well researched, with great attention to detail in terms of clothing, social strata, the miseries of the hospital at Scutari (Eskudar) and so on. Those interested in learning more about the era could do worse than reading this book.