Roadside Crosses (Kathryn Dance Novels)

Roadside Crosses: A Kathryn Dance Novel (Kathryn Dance Novels) - Jeffery Deaver Deaver has created a fascinating protagonist in Kathryn Dance, an officer in the California Bureau of Investigation. In this book, Dance is torn between dealing with a serial killer case and her mother's arrest on charges of murder.The serial killer case focuses on commenters in a fictional blog, "The Chilton Report." The murder charges relate to actions in the previous Kathryn Dance novel, in which a police officer is seriously burned in the line of duty. The officer dies at the hospital where Dance's mother is employed as a nurse.Deaver sets the scene on California's picturesque Monterey Peninsula, which I have visited on numerous occasions. His sites are factually accurate, down to street names and descriptions of buildings. One of the things I like best about Deaver's writing is his strict attention to this type of detail.The book had a completely unexpected twist, which I always appreciate. After reading many police procedurals, to not see the "whodunnit" coming is a real treat. Highly recommended for fans of the genre.