Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice

Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice - Maureen McCormick I deal, on a daily basis, with what might be politely termed "medically-resistant clinical depression." What this means, really, is that no combination of medications has ever really helped -- and the one that came closest had horrific side effects.The reason I provide this prologue is that I derive a great deal of help from reading books about other people who cope with depression -- and Maureen McCormick's memoir is just that. She writes frankly about feeling that she always needed to be as perfect as her character, Marcia Brady. About her attempts to self-medicate with cocaine, alcohol and food -- and about the control she felt while purging with bulimia. She writes about her struggles through her marriage and as she coped with elder abuse in her family (her middle brother toward her father).McCormick does not pull any punches as she talks about the lows of her life ... the kinds of things that she struggled for so many years to hide. Learning about the complex woman behind a TV character that so many people still adore, in a well-written package, was both entertaining and educational.