The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self - Alice Miller, Ruth Ward

This little book was mentioned in a course I'm taking, so I decided to get it from the library. It's considered a classic in psychotherapy circles, and I understand why. The information imparted is important and outstanding.

However, it was one of the most difficult books I've ever read: not because of terminology or anything like that, but because of the emotions it raised in me. It took me several nights to finish this short book, because I could only read so much at a time.

In a nutshell, it talks about how some people continue to try to please their parents and be perfect, in an effort to undue some humiliations or abuses during childhood -- and how this can provoke depression and/or grandiosity (which is just a different type of depression). It was both freeing and terrifying at the same time, as I remembered humiliating incidents that I had blocked for such a long while. I really cannot write about them because it is too triggering to do so.

I recommend this book ... but I also caution that readers must be prepared for what comes up as a result of it.