Sample Saturday, Sneak Preview Edition: "Two Days in June"

Here is a bit from the draft of "Two Days in June," my WIP, which has a) been resurrected with a different purpose in mind (never throw anything away that you have written, mes amis), which is to b) appear in next year's charity anthology, "30 Days Later." Enjoy!

“A toast to fallen comrades, my friends. General Lamarque has gone to his reward.”

Grantaire drains Bahorel’s glass and smacks his lips in satisfaction as he returns it to his dismayed companion.

“What do you know of the funeral plans,” Combeferre inquires. “Surely there will be a procession, with catafalque and all.”

“Indeed,” Feuilly joins in. “The people of Paris will want to pay their respects.”

“We must find out,” Enjolras speaks with authority. “For we may well use this somber occasion to make a change for the better, all over France.”

Grantaire sees the familiar light in his friend's eye and shakes his head.

“Innkeeper,” he calls out genially. “More of your wine, and good meat pies, for all. Plotting has ever been hungry work.”

With that, he throws some coins on the table. The innkeeper’s daughter snatches them up when she brings the requested items, barely acknowledging Grantaire as she slaps trays on tables.

And so it is that the night wears on, in discussion of weapons, gunpowder and treason. Revolution has ever been thus.