I used to love this series ...

The Gates of Babylon - Michael  Wallace

but lately it seems as though author Michael Wallace is getting tired of his characters.

Why do I say that?  Because Wallace has decided that, as though the chauvinistic, polygamous community of Blister Creek is not bad enough already, that the community must now be part of a post-apocalyptic world.  After a huge volcanic eruption, the entire world is suffering from crop failures, etc.  When reluctant "prophet, seer and revelator" Jacob Christianson decides to go to Las Vegas in a desperate bid to obtain needed medications for his community, there are attempted coups in the community, problems on the road -- you name it.

I will be the first to admit that part of my previous enjoyment was a certain sense of schadenfreude as the author so ably demonstrated the dark side of conservative, patriarchal religion and its impact on *everyone* affected by it.  Now, it seems like he just wants to kill off the entire population of Blister Creek and be done with them.  That's not to say that the book is poorly written -- it's a well-told tale, and the characters are still interesting.  It's just that the plot is becoming less believable.