"My Writing Process" Blog Tour

Hi, everyone. I was asked by author Maggie Secara to join in a blog tour. You can check out her website here: Maggie Secara - Author.

So, here is some stuff about me and my work:

1) What am I working on?

I quite literally just finished editing my work-in-progress, In The Eye of The Storm today. It's the sequel to In The Eye of The Beholder: A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera. The process took way longer than I expected, frankly; first, I fell into the rather seductive research rabbit hole. And then, I had a number of false starts on the tale -- up to and including thinking I didn't have the second book in me after all. It took nearly a year of working on related short stories for me to figure out why my muse was blocked ... and then it came together.

The other thing I'm working on right now is a novella I'm calling Clytie's Caller. It's my first Regency-era piece, and features a young woman who has what we now think of as post-traumatic stress disorder. A physician who works with soldiers suffering from battle fatigue is helping her ... and the two develop a relationship that is far from easy. I've never tried anything like this before, but it's coming along nicely.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Honestly? I try not to do cookie-cutter, formulaic plots or characters. I think that real life is not nearly as simple as "gorgeous young virginal woman meets darkly handsome man with a deep secret ... and they hate each other ... until they fall in love and live happily ever after." I'm interested in the things that make people tick in complicated ways. As my bio says, my primary focus is on atypical characters.

3) Why do I write what I do?

I am fascinated by history (which is why I'm mostly doing historical fiction), and by human psychology. Few people are two-dimensional cardboard cutouts; bad guys aren't all bad, and vice versa. So, part of it is looking at the *why* of how people function in order to place them against a historical backdrop.

4) How does my writing process work?

I get an idea, and I write. Sometimes, it works. Other times, it's a mess (or just didn't work out the way I wanted it to) ... but I never throw anything out. You never can tell when a single phrase will be perfect in a different tale -- or when the muse will strike and show you how to fix the story you hid in the back of the drawer.

I invite fellow historical fiction author Jaimey Grant, romance author J. Timothy King, and short story writer Maria Savva to answer the same questions in their own blogs.

Thanks, as always, for reading.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/5798373-my-writing-process-blog-tour