Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...that - Mary J. Shomon

My mother sent me this book in a recent "care package," and I am incredibly grateful. I read Ridha Arem's excellent The Thyroid Solution when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism two years ago, but Mary Shomon's book did something that Arem's didn't: it armed me with the right questions to ask. Even though my TSH values were high normal, according to the lab, I still had symptoms. Because of this book, I knew what tests go ask for ... and now know that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (an autoimmune disease). I was also able to demand referral to an endocrinologist so that we can determine next steps together.

Here is the main take-away I got from this extensive, well-written book: you do not have to suffer just because your thyroid is messed up. There are dietary tips, information on alternative medicine, vitamin recommendations and more to be found here ... as well as a ton of support from Shomon herself, who is a thyroid patient and advocate.

I recommend this book to those suffering from depression (it could be your thyroid), those who have diagnosed thyroid disorders, and even those who think that they may have a thyroid disorder. It's written for the layman, is informative and intelligent ... and helpful.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/861112176