The Giver

The Giver - Lois Lowry This is the first time I've seen a dystopian novel for the young adult audience and, frankly, I was impressed.Twelve-year-old Jonas is chosen to be The Receiver -- the only person in his community who has memories. In The Community, spouses are matched up by committee, must apply to have children (who are assigned to them, one male and one female only), and peoples' careers are selected in the same way.Jonas is different, because The Receiver must be chosen by The Giver -- the previous holder of all the memories. Jonas is able to see things that others are not, such as colors. He also learns about emotions, which are stifled in The Community by medication (I found this an apt commentary, given the overprescription of antidepressants, etc., these days) ... and that his parents are not the kindly people he initially believed them to be.The Community thrives on Sameness, whereas Jonas begins to thrive on difference. I think there's a great lesson to be learned from this book about valuing people for their individuality.