Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic

Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic - Martha N. Beck Right off the bat, I'm going to say that I disagree with the "blurb" that describes this book. Sociologist Martha Beck and her then-husband, John, learn that she is carrying a fetus with Down syndrome, and there are some significant problems both in the pregnancy and their lives as Harvard graduate students, yes -- but they do not "trust in magic to resolve them."Instead, what both Becks start doing is paying attention to the world around them in a different way and reevaluating the things that they previously thought were most important. Both of them ardently pro-choice, they make a decision to continue the pregnancy (that's what pro-choice means, really, letting each decide for themselves what is best) in the face of objections from colleagues, family and medical staff. They begin listening to the values of their hearts instead of the values of society.Martha Beck's good humored descriptions of the difficulties she encountered during this time (her husband's extended absences on business, pregnancy complications, etc.) put you right in the situation with her ... and she does the same thing when she describes what she thinks of initially as coincidences when helpful people and situations are put into her path. What Beck points out here is that we draw to us the kinds of things on which we focus, and that as she focused on more positivity, more of it came into her life. She also talks quite frankly about some of the life lessons she learned from her son, Adam, who was 10 years old at the time this book was written.I enjoyed this book far more than I thought I would, to be honest. I have enjoyed Dr. Beck's life coaching books and put some of her information to good use. In those books, she talks about having Adam, so I decided to check this out -- and I'm glad I did.