Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science

Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science - Atul Gawande At one point in my career (in fact, not too long after this book was originally published), I worked in the risk management department for a non-teaching hospital. We looked at physician errors and complication rates, among other things. A few years previously, I had worked in the department that maintained peer review files; one of my responsibilities was documenting the Surgery department's cases.What Atul Gawande does in this book is look at those cases and error rates from the other side of the desk: that of the physician. He shares anecdotes and case studies to talk about the imprecise nature of medicine in general, and surgery in particular. He talks about cases ranging from Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to appendicitis, necrotizing fasciitis, autopsy and more.To be quite honest, this may not be a book for the faint of heart.I found the book interesting and well-written, and Gawande's style is conversational and collegial. Those interested in medical memoir are sure to enjoy it.