Age of Innocence, The (Barnes & Noble classics)

The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton, Maureen Howard I should have read this book years ago, and have no idea why I didn't do so. Edith Wharton's novel about the social mores of New York's late 19th Century upper crust and its social mores is absolutely fascinating. The main characters are Newland Archer, his fiance (and later wife) May Welland, and May's cousin Ellen Olenska. Ellen has lived abroad due to her marriage to a Polish count, and she comes back to New York tainted with scandal because she wants a divorce to escape her husband's abuse.I loved the film with Daniel Day-Lewis, and really wish I had read this book before I saw it. Knowing what is going on behind the perfect, proper behavior (Wharton writes in third person omniscient) adds tremendous depth and complexity to characters who could easily have become caricatures in the hands of a less talented author.This was also my second time using the Palm OS eReader software. I find that I like this alternative very much, as my Palm can be pulled out in a grocery store line, etc., and I can read a few screens while I wait.