The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder - Erin Blakemore Erin Blakemore's "The Heroine's Bookshelf" is a slender volume jam-packed with ideas, inspiration and information. Featuring twelve female authors and their well-known heroines, the book delivers on its promise: there are life lessons here.With heroines as varied as Scout Finch and Jane Eyre, created by women who have little in common with one another beyond gender, there is much to see here. Blakemore provides some biographical information on each of the authors, talking about some of the difficulties they encountered with publishing. She matches up each heroine with a concept (e.g., Scout Finch represents compassion) and explains clearly why this is so.At the bottom of this book is an explanation of why we subconsciously return to certain books over and over again. There is something elemental about the stories of "Jane Eyre" and "The Secret Garden" and "Little Women" (as well as the other nine books discussed here) that speaks to us as we relate to the heroines' challenges.This is a book I will look to repeatedly during times of challenge. Highly recommended for literature lovers.