Burning Man

Burning Man - Alan Russell Police detective Michael Gideon, and his K-9 partner, Sirius, have literally been through the fires of Hell. After surviving serious burns, the two are put on a Special Cases assignment. Even having Sirius on the force is unusual after his injuries, but Gideon refuses to be separated from him.One of the first cases they catch is a crucifixion, which leads to all manner of complications and subplots. The victim, on the surface, is the typical Big Man on Campus ... but obviously he has some enemies.This is so far from the typical police procedural/whodunnit that I was delighted. Alan Russell has created atypical characters who are likeable despite their demons and lack of perfection. He also wrote a tight mystery that had me completely surprised at the reveal. As I read a good many of these books, it's hard to surprise me. Yet, Russell managed to do just that.It's always hard to review a mystery without delivering spoilers. Suffice it to say that this one is well worth your time and comes highly recommended.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)