From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant

From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant - Michael S. Sanders Michael S. Sander's memoir of his year spent in a tiny French village was absolutely charming. Though Sanders started out to write about life in a French restaurant, the book is actually about the villagers themselves.Centered around the city's main business, a restaurant in an old schoolhouse (Le Recreation, or "recess"), the book takes us through a year in the life of Les Arques. The elderly mayor, the family who makes its living keeping ducks for foie gras, the restaurateurs and their staff ... this is really a book about people more than it is about food. Where the food comes into play is in the way that it brings the entire village together.Sanders' prose puts the reader right in the middle of everything, whether its the village fete or the orchards where truffles might be found. I learned more about foie gras and trufficulture than I imagined possible, just to name two things. Mostly, I came to admire the folk of Les Arques just as Sanders and his family did.Highly recommended for Francophiles and foodies alike.