I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High - Tony Danza When Tony Danza's talk show is canceled, he's at loose ends. As an aging actor, work is more difficult to find. Throw in the fact that his marriage is on the rocks and he's trying to figure out what to do. Danza goes back to his college background (his degree is in history education) and decides to become a teacher.A short-lived A&E reality series documents six weeks of the process (when Danza refused to allow the director to "soft script" the show, as is often done in reality TV to create drama where none exists, A&E lost interest in continuing), but Danza stays for the entire school year even after the cameras are gone. This book is the chronicle of Danza's year teaching at an inner city Philadelphia high school.Danza's class of sophomores range from well-to-do to at-risk kids, and his compassion for all of them (as well as his passion for teaching) comes through on every page. As he works out creative ways to help his students understand literature like "Of Mice and Men" or "To Kill a Mockingbird," he's also helping them work out the importance of staying in school and doing well.The kids cut Danza no slack, and he documents his own missteps without hesitation. Overall, it's an entertaining book that made me think differently about teachers and the challenges they face (and helped me better understand the high school English teacher who told me, when I expressed a desire to teach, that I should think of some other career).Highly recommended.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)