Picture This

Picture This: A Novel (P.S.) - Jacqueline Sheehan Roxanne "Rocky" Pellegrino is just starting to find her feet as a young widow after her veterinarian husband passes away. She's on sabbatical from her job as a psychologist, working as the animal control warden in the little community of Peaks Island, and getting to know both her neighbors and herself.Just as life starts to go on an even keel, Natalie shows up ... claiming that Rocky's former husband is her father.Naturally, this upsets the balance in many peoples' lives -- including Rocky's teenage friend Melissa, a recovering anorexic, and Rocky's labrador retriever Cooper, whom she literally brought back from the brink of death.The characters who people this book (and Peaks Island) are well-drawn and interesting. Everyone has a little something that they've kept back from the world at large and are forced to share because of things that happen surrounding Natalie's arrival (I am doing my best not to deliver spoilers).I read this book over the course of two nights because I did not want to put it down. It's a fine modern fiction work that examines contemporary problems through some unexpected lenses. Highly recommended.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)