A Compendium of Common Knowledge 1558-1603

A Compendium of Common Knowledge, 1558-1603: Elizabethan Commonplaces for Writers, Actors & Re-enactors - Maggie Secara If I were still an Elizabethan-era historical reenactor, I would insist that every person in my group or guild read and know the information in this book. It's just that simple, and that important.The "Compendium of Common Knowledge" is material that every person during the Elizabethan age would have known, from forms of address to duties of servants, from marriage customs to currency ... and a good many other things in between.Secara's expertise derives from many years as a reenactor who meticulously searched and researched to develop her character and to help improve the quality of performances and interactions at the events in which she participated (this is discussed a little bit at the end of the book, which features a sort of character development study guide to help actors/reenactors understand more about the historical person whom they portray).Above all, though, this is an easily digestible book written with intelligence and wit. One can sit down and read it from cover to cover, or one can easily look up specific sections to learn in depth about a given event, person, etc.Anyone who works, or plays, at a Renaissance Faire would do well to read this book. It will "up your game," so to speak, and make you a better cast member for the guests with whom you come in contact. I promise.This is also a book that will prove useful to historical fiction authors who want their tales to ring true.