Live Life: The Daydreamer's Journal

Live Life: The Daydreamer's Journal - Sharon E. Cathcart, S.J. Wist, Ricky McGentleman In the interest of full disclosure, I will say right at the beginning that this book contains one of my stories. My review applies to the rest of the works contained therein."Live Life: The Daydreamer's Journal" is a short story and poetry anthology that was developed as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. As is the case with anthologies, this one is a little bit uneven. Standouts in the short story section were "The Grass Princess," "The Library Plot," "Diary of a Veteran" and "Mwata, Bane of Lions." In the poetry section, my favorites were "Don't Lecture Me, Augustine" and "Marie Laveau Talks About Magic."The book includes some well-known names (e.g., David Brin) and some lesser-known folks, from 22 different countries. It was an impressive project to curate.The unfortunate thing is that the editing is really uneven. There were run-on sentences, comma splices and homophone errors is many of the stories. In one poem, "Hooves of Thunder," the editorial team had their "morality hats" on (for lack of a better term). The poem's meter mimics a galloping herd of Australian brumbies (the subject of the piece). The editor's unfortunate decision to change a line, which clearly should have read "sent his soul to Hell," to "sent his soul to "heck" stopped this reader right in her tracks and ruined the experience of the piece.As much as I would love to be able to rate this book a full five stars, given the talent of the authors, the editorial decisions preclude me doing so. Still, it is worth reading for the stories and poetry, and worth buying for the good cause.