Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High - Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler I recently took a "Crucial Conversations" course, and this book was one of the tools provided to us by the instructor.I benefited tremendously from the course, and the book is an outstanding primer on the tools that will help us deal with difficult conversations in high stakes environments. However, I think that it would be difficult to employ these tools without having the hands-on practice that we experienced in the classroom setting (which is why I knocked off a star).These are highly useful techniques for dealing with crucial conversations (differing opinions + high emotions + high stakes), but having the opportunity to practice those techniques *before* you need them is what really does the trick.In any event, this book has a place on my office bookshelf, next to BE OUR GUEST: Perfecting the art of customer service, Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun and Making Work Work: New Strategies for Surviving and Thriving at the Office. Highly recommended.