Wild Horse Annie and the Last of the Mustangs: The Last of the Mustangs: The Life of Velma Johnston

Wild Horse Annie and the Last of the Mustangs: The Life of Velma Johnston - David Cruise, Alison Griffiths I first read about Velma "Wild Horse Annie" Johnston in the pages of Marguerite Henry's "Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West." I dreamed of having a mustang like Velma's Hobo.As an adult, I've been honored to be face-to-face with famous mustangs like Rowdy Yates and Shy Boy, and to scratch between the ears of numerous BLM adoptees. Without Velma Johnston's work, none of those events would have happened.David Cruise and Allison Griffiths present a no-holds barred look at the woman who dared to stand up on behalf of creatures that many people in her time and locale considered to be a tremendous nuisance.Johnston, daughter and wife of Nevada ranchers, was appalled at the airplane roundups of mustangs that led to the mutilated horses' slaughter at rendering plants for pet food manufacturers. She began a one woman letter-writing campaign that eventually led to laws preserving space for mustangs and making it unlawful to hunt them in fashions that had been commonplace and cruel.Johnston survived a disfiguring bout with polio and was devastatingly shy, yet found herself speaking before Congress on numerous occasions to champion her "wild ones," as she called them.Those of us who love the American mustang in all its colors and iterations owe a tremendous debt to "Wild Horse Annie" and all of her hard work. Highly recommended for horse lovers in particular and those concerned with animal welfare in general.