The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty

The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty - G.J. Meyer G.J. Meyer's extensive look at the Tudor dynasty presents history as it ought to be done: engaging *and* factual.The book focuses primarily on Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, the two best-known monarchs of the Tudor family. It does, however, start with Henry VI and end with James I/VI. Meyer does not, however, pull punches about the bloody reigns of the two monarchs on whom he focuses. Despite Tudor apologist histories that have been written right up to the modern age, neither Henry nor his surviving child were the kindly geniuses that have been portrayed.The "backgrounder" chapters are especially welcome. Covering subjects ranging from the Jesuits to the purpose of Parliament during the Tudor era (specifically designed to develop and enforce new taxes), these sections provider the reader with useful context in which to understand both the monarchs and the common people who suffered under their rule.Overall, I found this book absolutely fascinating. Meyer has done his research (there are extensive end-notes) and presents the story of a fascinating and powerful family while taking off the polished veneer that their apologists put in place so many years ago.(Review based on uncorrected advance proof.)